ordering "Flat Out" via cyberspace

Thu Oct 12 08:27:59 EDT 1995

Adrian says:

WARNING WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON STAY AWAY FROM LIVE 76.  I REPEAT DO
NOT PURCHASE THIS CD.

Well, only get this CD if you are a diehard fan that absolutely must
have everything available and don't mind some pretty lousy sound quality.
I guess I've just described myself -- I have the disc and I even play
it from time to time.  But, it has good and bad points:

Good:  Live versions of "Stairway to the Stars" and the "5 Guitars".  The
renditions of several songs are decent ("Harvester of Eyes", "Cities on
Flame", "Buck's Boogie", and "Astronomy" come to mind)

Bad:  The sound quality is awful - not that the band's performance is bad,
but the mix is bad (with instrument levels changing during the tracks).

Some-what bad:  It would have been better if a few things had been edited
out on the disc as they are part of a concert experience that really
doesn't translate well to sitting at home in your living room by yourself
listening to it -- I'm talking about Eric's long-winded rant about drug
laws and the speed limit; and Albert's drum solo (which is much coooler on
the video where you get to see the accompanying laser show).  I probably
would've eliminated most or all of Joe's bass solo prior to the 5 Guitar
bit as well.  None of these things are bad - but when removed from the
concert experience they don't seem to make as much sense.

John