I want to see you in black

albert bouchard wk06705 at WORLDLINK.COM
Fri Oct 13 18:55:36 EDT 1995

On Fri, 13 Oct 1995 John A Swartz wrote:

> I don't know if it's a trick - I think its more bad judgement on Bloom's
> part.  The new album was promised to be out in late '94/early '95 when
> I saw them during the summer of '94.  Now, had they had a recording
> deal at that time, then no doubt the album might've been ready at
> that point.

but they did have a deal..... with Gary Steward's Forward label. Eric himself
told me and so did Gary Steward. Schenck blew it according to Gary by not
answering his calls about when he would deliver the finished masters. They
missed their release date and were dropped. Eric also complained that they
weren't getting that much of an advance to record it. He was probably trying
to make me feel sorry for him. Ha. Fat chance - they've made their bed.... I
wouldn't be surprized if #4 (not enough good stuff) was the proper guess.

> rather than CC, but things didn't work out -- perhaps stupid to
> announce an album before the contracts are signed, but I don't think
> it was deliberate intentional deception.  At least now Bloom seems to
> recognize this as he announces the new album to be out "in the future".

the contracts were signed but the album wasn't completely recorded, but yes it
probably wasn't intentional deception...except maybe self-deception (which is
usually not intentional)!

        Also putting out your own CD is not such a piece of cake. It doesn't
have to cost a fortune but it is a lot of legwork (writing, rehearsing,
recording, mixing, sequencing, mastering, artwork, layout, duplication,
mailings, etc.) not to mention coming up with 40-70 mnts of great material.
There are many steps along the way in which you can become discouraged.
        I read in the book "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpol Rahula that the
5th Hinderance is sceptical doubts and that scepticism can stop all forward
motion. I've always thought that Steve Schenck is one of the most sceptical
people I've ever known. I still think they need a new manager, either that or
they should each find another gig. Pearlman may have been crazy at times.
Maybe he wasn't so honest but at least he had some joy about him. He believed
in the possibilities. I still do.
Al