BOC

Scott Heller (617) 724-7762 HELLERS at A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Sep 7 09:20:00 EDT 1995

       The past few days I have been listening to some classic live BOC
       (Cleveland 73', Academy of Music 12/31/73, Paris 75') and I really
       noticed that back then there was a real spontaneity to the
       performance. On numerous occassions, the jamminng just seem to go on.
       Several songs were quite extended. It seems now, the band is much more
       focused, and the songs all seem to have a tighter format, but at least
       for me, they lose something. I guess it is now, the version are all
       played pretty much the same and back then you didn't know if Cities on
       Flame would be 4 min or 10 min or if This ain't the Summer of love
       would go into a massive guitar jam or not. Same with ME 262.

       I just hope that the Workshop of Telescopes is remastered and has some
       unreleased material. I for one, will be very disappointed it if is
       just another hits package. Charlie had mentioned that the first BOC lp
       sounded better than the lp. I have avoided buying CD's from almost all
       of the classic rock acts of the late 60's and 70's so far, as it seems
       like many of them have not been remastered and sound really bad as
       compared to the lps. Some prime examples are Jefferson Airplane-
       Volunteers and Led Zeppelin-1. The pressings of these CD's up until
       just a few years ago were so muddy...... It seems like they are
       rereleasing whole catalogs that are remastered now (Elton John, Led
       Zeppelin,etc) so the best sounding ones will come out someday.

       Scott

       P.S. Sorry for the long diatribe...