Hawkwind losing steam?

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Sep 12 10:50:40 EDT 1995

Dave writes:

>Wastelands (instrumental version of Wastelands Of Sleep, and
>   significantly different IMO)

I'd have to listen to these back-to-back, but solely from memory, I don't think
these two tracks have *anything* in common, despite the name.  'Wastelands' is
really cool, BTW, as was indicated in the Hawkbrawl '95 poll before I even
heard it for the first time.....I agree that it's very good....but too short.

Andy writes:

> "Nuclear Drive" on _Church_ is really just "Nuclear Toy" (b-side) with
> different words.

Same thing here....I can't imagine that there is anything remotely similar
between these two songs, but I haven't heard Nuclear Toy in quite awhile (only
having it on the Who's Gonna Win the War single...as opposed to the Griffin
'Levitation').  There's not too much music in Nuclear Toy from what I remember,
just the synthesised drum beat, with a HLL-riff playing in the background, and
then at the end, a HLL-solo over top of some more sequenced electronics.
Doesn't sound to me anything like Nuclear Drive.

Sorry.....

Keith H.

PS.  BTW, I agree with Carl, that HW remakes are just fine as long as they're
creating something new with something classic.....Mask of the Morning is
brilliant IMHO, and should really be considered an entirely new composition.
But I would say that if you were a big lyric fan (I'm not), it might be a
little annoying to hear the same lyrics sung over and over.  The renaming thing
is a bit annoying I'll admit also, as it makes it a little difficult to know
what you're getting.