2nd try of In Thee (tab)

Niko Makila Niko.Makila at CSC.FI
Wed Sep 13 04:41:14 EDT 1995

Dan's message dated: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:25:11 -0000

> Last night I've tried to check it up. What I found in
> my encyclopedia was that sometimes you can even use double signs for
> lowering or highering (is that english?) the notes, that is F# # would mean a
>  F made to a
> G! The reason for this strange notation, I suppose, has to do with
> all those people down in the large white buildings in Washington
> D.C...

Actually I think that the reason lies in good ole physics.  In a
natural scale F## would not be the same as a G and C# wouldn't be the
same as a Db etc.  But because today's instruments are almost
exclusively tuned in X tuning (sorry, but you'll have to insert the
English word for X, because I forgot it just now) to help playing in
different keys they in practise are the same note.

By the way the reason that there exists Bach's toccatas and fugues in
all imaginable keys is that he tried to make the (then all new)
X-tuning famous.  And now it is famous, although I don't think that all
credit on that goes to Bach.

A good singer, violist, etc., can actually sing or play those notes and
the difference is just hearable.

        //niko

ObCDPlayer: Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain