BOC: workshop

Oyster Girl lansford at VNET.NET
Tue Sep 26 15:45:00 EDT 1995

On 26 Sep 95, Bryan Irby wrote:

> Haven't seen anyone post anything about Workshop of the Telescopes
> yet, so I'll say something brief:
>
> -Nice packaging: cover is inside slip of RBN vinyl (anubis on crypt
> thing)

Liner notes are essentially the same as CoE.  I'll grant that they're
somewhat expanded.

Lots of nifty pics, though.

> -Doesn't appear to be digitally remastered

The early tracks do sound cleaner, though.

> -Includes the following prev unreleased on CD (well, not officially)
> tracks:
>         Workshop of the Telescopes      (from '72 Bootleg EP)
>         The Red & the Black             (from '72 Bootleg EP)

Were we really ready for "clean" copies of these?  <g>

>         Buck's Boogie                   (from Guitars that Destroyed
>         the World)

Notice the writing credits?  ;)

> Born to Be Wild (studio)        (B-side of live
>         BTBW from OYFOOYK)

First time I've heard this.  It's ... different.  Kinda neat.

I suspect my other half'll give it the same "What the duck is that?"
look he did a sampler of Brit/French rock I recently inflicted on
him.

> [snip]

> The bizarre inclusion of the SEE cover songs as "BOC's Greatest
> Hits" mystifies me a bit, especially considering the fact that
> there is only 1 (real) track from T&M, 1 from Mirrors (and not the
> best one at that), and 1 from CErectus (again, why the Marshall
> Plan..?).

In Thee and Here's Johnny were, of course, the singles.

> I hope that this "Tyranny & Mutation" set is a real thing, with the
> SFG material on it.  But then, who doesn't?

Ditto.

WoT was about what I expected.  I can't say I'm disappointed, but I
also can't say I'm blown away.

Maybe the real problem is that the new Tull album is next on my
listening list, and I'm much more in the mood to sink my teeth into
some new music than to A/B songs I hum in my sleep.

    It's part of the mentality of society to always concentrate on
    things that are negative.                      - Earnest Byner
    Jean Lansford                                lansford at vnet.net