Spirit of the Age Lyric

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Wed Sep 27 09:06:00 EDT 1995

Sorry to resurrect an "old" thread, but I was away and couldn't get in when
it was live.  This concerns the android who moans another's name (that
sounds like the lyric to me).   I always took this as an example of how the
spirit of the age (i.e., the advances in technology that were supposed to
make life so much better) did not really solve the day-to-day miseries of
life.  A glitch in software (or the boredom that the advanced AI can get
with this guy who thinks it exists solely for his pleasure) is the cause of
transferring a once solely human foible on to our machine servitors.   Even
the machine can fantasize to try to relieve boredom.  In other words, in
this advanced world of wonders, life still sucks!

The whole girlfriend not being frozen bit is another example.  She may have
used the "parents won't let me be frozen" excuse as a way to "kindly" tell
the guy that they were through.  A young girl like this would not be
expected to remain true while she aged enough to sign the medical papers
herself.  She may not have been that committed to him as he thought.   Just
another way that the new age technology lets people bum others out.  The
tone of resignation that one of the last "well that's just the spirit of the
age" lines is sung with reinforces this for me.
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Rudy the ferret mage
      \   \      (Ever watchful for Hawks from above & beyond)
      /\ * )  \