[HW] Brock's Strange Trips

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Fri Sep 29 14:39:00 EDT 1995

Craig said

> Well, I haven't spotted any copies of Brock's new baby down Atlanta way
> yet, nor the new House or Sprial Realms or Anubian Lights. I did find a
> strange little single by Sting that features Steve Hillage & Mike Howett
> (Gong alumni) & Nik Turner, titled Nuclear_Waste that comes in a neat
> little tin. Haven't played it yet, though, so no comment. David, what
> can you tell us about this one?

... and I thought I'd jump in.  I know my tastes differ from yours,
Craig, so I'll try and be objective!

It's the same song as on ICU's _Pass Out_, and then rejigged as
"Strontium 90" on _PoT_.  Quite poppy, restrained but distinctive vocal
from Mr Sumner.  Nice singalong stuff.  Even a friend of mine who used to
work at Sellafield liked it!

I tended to prefer the ICU version, though, mostly for the line you can
just hear as it fades out, "ram it up your shit-hole, Mrs T!"

> Michael Jackson (whose latest single is "Don't Let Your Son Go Down On
> Me" :-) ) and sell Columbia back to someone who cares about the music.

Is that a cover of Nik Kershaw's "I Won't Let My Mum Go Down On Me"?

- Andy