Other: GONG strikes well

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Mon Apr 15 13:37:00 EDT 1996

>Gong were excellent.  Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to go.  The
>second set in particular was superb.

Glad you liked it, Dave.  How was PT???  Worth traveling to Balt. to catch
the 1 gig?

>Time to eat some of my words:

>* One of the two best tracks was also the most Ozrics-like - a rolling bass
>  with jazz sax solo and rock guitar solo.  Steffi was *really* into it.
>  And Mike Howlett was superb on bass.

This sounds like "Cycles."   It also could have been "Techno Mercury."    I
liked it a lot, but Carl hated the drum machine.    At Boston the 2 segued
and it is hard to tell exactly where one stops and the other begins.
  Depends on how much drum there was.

>* Virtually all the material was from the early 70s.  Perhaps it's not
>  such a bad place to be stuck.

Not for them.   I've read reviews of different versions of GONG doing
different era's songs, and everybody seems to like the 70s the best.

>* I would like to see Hawkwind with most of the music live - get another
>  keyboard player or two for the tours, Dave, and someone to share solo
>  work!

Like Harvey and Huw?   What a reunion tour they could do.  Forget the Eagles
and their Hell Freezes Over tour.

>Dave.

Rudy