OFF: insurance for CDs and/or tapes ?

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Apr 16 22:46:37 EDT 1996

> AS one possible safeguard you could put them somewhere obviously in your
> house and photograph them all in situ and then use the photos as
> evidence for insurance purposes if (the gods forfend!) they even got
> nicked.   Not quite sure how much weight that would carry but it might
> help.   The only real concern would be who you got to develop the photos.

Officer Friendly here to be of service!!!

Video-tape 'em. My family and in-laws do this every year or so. You can
give a verbal description along with the videoing of the article(s). As a
point of reference, video either that days' newspaper or something on the
telly that positively establishes the date. Store this video in a very safe
place (we exchange tapes with my in-laws, so that there is no chance of the
tape getting ripped off. Don't forget to write protect the tape, BTW!)

Also, check with your insurance agent to see what is proof positive for them
to compensate you for your loss. Whats' good at Allstate may be different at
State Farm.

> This may be an Urban Legend by now but I did hear of someone who took
> photos of his more valuable possessions - took them to a big photo chain
> for processing - and a few weeks later had every single item
> stolen......

Could be a scam, too...

> But believe me - if someone nicked my Hawkwind collection I'd make damn
> sure every 2nd hand record dealer within at least 100 miles of Edinburgh
> knew about it and I'd be sending leaflets to each and every record sale
> that was coming up in the next six months.    I might never get them
> back but I'd make quite sure that he wouldn't be able to sell them in
> a hurry.   Conceivably, of course, he'd then have to start playing them
> on his own equipment - if only to make some use of them - so it might be
> some small consolation if another Hawkfan convert was made  8-)

Let the b******d get 'em legally! Do we want another Hawkfan if the bum
entered the ranks this way? I sure dont! ;-) This is good advice, however.

There was a device offered for sale about ten years ago that either thru
heat and/or pressure impressed a unique serial number into the area next to
the spindle hole. The company also offered a registry to help in the recovery
of stolen disks. I don't think that this company ever really offered the unit
as I only saw a couple of ads and then no more. I was contemplating buying one.

Other little hints at keeping your collection safe:

Store your more valuable disks in a different location than the bulk of your
music. if you get burgled, the odds are that thee more common material will
get nicked, not your Nik-disc! (Sorry!)

Use  an alternative storage system. I filed a number of my CD's in a sleeve
arrangement, which only hold the CD and the booklet. The back-card is stored
elsewhere. As it stands, the package is not a "whole" CD and should be less
palatable to thieves. This should also be less appealing to a buyer of a
used CD.

Mark the inside of the backcard with your name, an identifying mark, a note
that unless the person selling the disc can prove positive that it is you that
the CD is most likely stolen, whatever. If you want to keep the backcard
pristine, make a little note (about the size of a fortune cookie message)
with any of the above messages and place it between the tray and the j-card
(aka the backcard; I just remembered the name!), tape it to the back of the
tray, whichever you choose. Hard to do with the clear trays and Digi-Paks,
however... (Drop your business card down the window on the driver' side of
your car. If it is ever stolen, this can help identify it as yours. This
also works on stereo and computer gear; however, _tape_ it to a hard-to-see-at-
first-glance location inside the cabinet. Don't want to screw the mechanicals
up!)

Enter each and every CD into a database that you keep updated. Store the hard-
copy and the backup copy (you _will_ make a backup, understand?!?) in a safe
(preferrable off-site) location. Do this along with your video of the CD
collection.
> jill

> J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
>                                                 ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk

Officer Fiendly, err, Friendly, signing off!

(aka)
      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400