OFF: insurance for CDs and/or tapes ?

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 17 14:14:33 EDT 1996

> In Britain, and I suspect the same is true for the USA (and most
> everywhere), it pays to check your policy carefully to see what is and
> what is not covered.  The home contents policy I had in Britain
> specifically did *not* cover music collections (and I never saw a policy
> that did as standard).

Correct.  You need a specific rider on the policy, which will bump up
the cost of the premiums, I'm afraid.

> The big problem I had in thinking about insuring my collection was the
> fact that the stuff I was really interested in protecting was rare and,
> usually, out of print.  So if it was damaged/stolen, the chances of my
> replacing it were virtually nil anyway.  I'm sure the money would have
> provided some solace, but not much.  Who can put a price on an obscure
> release that took you ages to track down by happy circumstance and no

All the more reason to have it appraised by an 'expert.'  At least
you'll get what the stuff's really worth, and should you ever be able
to locate it, you'll have the funds to move on it.

> longer exists?  I think the wiser approach is that advocated by Craig
> Shipley et al who suggest making the stuff harder to steal in the first
> place (e.g. buying a couple of Milli Vanilli cut-outs to put on top to
> throw them off the trail, and peg you as a hopeless no-taste record owner
> that nobody would touch with a barge pole;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
True, but that can't help you against fire, flood, revolution (in
which case the insurance wouldn't be much help anyway)!

 > obCD: Albert
King, _Live_ >
> e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.
Paul,
Which Albert king is this?  I'm a big fan of his and got quite a bit
of stuff.  Feel free to contact me off line about this great artist:
tojackso at hawk.syr.edu
theo