NIK: Past or Future?

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Apr 18 07:59:33 EDT 1996

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM wrote:

> I love this, though it took a long time to sink in... I still don't have
> SR'94, but I do have Prohpets Of Time, which I like a great deal, but this I
> think is much better. Even the bits I was unsure of at first (such as
> "Warrior", "High Rise" and "Silver M") sound much better now. Though I don't
> think the vocals of (Grenas?) the singer for High and Audio are much better
> than Niks'.

I got this CD recently and it became an instant fave---much more so than
_SR '94_ (which I also liked).  It's great to see a setlist consisting of
less "standard" yet obviously classic material (the sequence of
_Warrior..._ tracks, for example).  The Anubian Lights material is not out
of place, either.  It fits in rather nicely.

> Favorites: Dream Worker, Opa-Loka 2000, Soul Herder, 10 Seconds, Ejection,
> Do That, Hornets.

For me, the Soul Herder->Opa-Loka 2000 segued tracks are the high point
of the album (but then "Soul Herder" is probably my favourite track from
_The Eternal Sky_:).  "Highrise" is right up there, too, but the vocal
delivery lacks the attack of Calvert's.  Simon House's violin makes up
for that, though.

This one is a keeper, folks.

Trivia: Another neato thing about this release is the front cover of the
CD case/cover.  The cover illustration flips between two images depending
upon which angle you look at it.  It's the first time I'd ever seen this
done.  I can see what Andy Gilham meant, now, when he said he bought it
because of the cover. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Nik Turner, _Past or Future?_

obWarning: Mike Moorcock's hystrionics on "Warriors on the Edge of Time" :-)

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.