HW: Douglas IN The Jungle

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SPATIAL.UNISYS.COM
Fri Aug 2 10:14:35 EDT 1996

OK boys & girls,

I was listening to Douglas IN The Jungle this morning (well not on purpose
I was listening to Wierd tape whichever), something I hadnt done in quite
a while.  Now I'd always assumed this was the result of an experiment
in trying to record while under the influence, its just that bad (and from
the track poll I think others agreed).

Listening I was thinking:

1) They actually put some effort into this because there is quite a lot
of layered sound effects

2) Theres stuff being said thats on the limit of being able to make it
out (I got something about a "preparing a feasability study)"

3) On finishing the tape & looking at the case, I was reminded that
this is subtitled (Ode to a Manager !), which of course reminded me
of recent discussions about Doug Smith, who obviously the song is addressed to.

So the question is really, does anyone actually understand what the song
is trying to say ? I mean if they've dedicated it to Doug it must
have some significance. Remind me, was Doug on the way out or just on the
way back in at this point ??? (I'm thinking its 79-80 ?)

ObRidiculousLyric: "They're on their knees, those chimpanzees !"

Cheers,
Steve L.