HW: divided spiral galaxy

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Fri Aug 2 20:21:24 EDT 1996

Jonah says--

> among other things I've recently received a Warrior on the Edge of Time in
> 8-Track Cartridge format.
>
> I've only seen this type of recorder once in my life, think it was 1975 or
> so. The 8-Track format was a completely non success in Sweden, and I don't
> know anything about the benefits of the Cartridge. Was there any?

No. :-) Actually, I suppose the fact that you just pushed it into the
player to listen to it, and that it would play over and over again ad
infinitum were "advantages".

> However it seems to have 4 sides, with this tracklist:
>
> is anyone here old enough to someone explain the 4 sides?

Yeah, just let me pop the dentures in my mouth before I explain . . . :-)
All eight tracks had "four sides", which occupied the same stretch of
tape (i.e., four parallel stereo tracks). The player would automatically
switch to the next track when it encountered the bit of aluminum tape which
closed the tape loop.

> has anyone heard the divided version of Spiral Galaxy?

No, but divided tunes were common on eight tracks (they were divided by
the aforementioned bit of aluminum tape). Typically, the song would fade
out, the player would click to the next "lane" of tape, and the song
would fade in to full volume. 'Twas most annoying . . . I had a tape of
Boston's _Don't Look Back_ which had three divided tunes. :-P

Eight tracks had added pluses . . . the tape was prone to stretching,
tangling, and breaking. :-)

Keep it for it's novelty value, or maybe FoFP would be willing to
buy it from you (assuming he hasn't already got one :-) ).

Guido

obCDplayer--Touch Wood by Gitbox

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse