sabbath/moorcock?

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Wed Aug 21 00:42:35 EDT 1996

good morning, list
this is free thoughts directly stolen from the sabbath mailing list:

> I just purchased the EI [eternal idol] remaster. I still consider
> it an amazing album. The title track and the shinning are simply great

This one and "Tyr" are my favourite Tony Martin era albums.  Granted, EI
seemed to appear at a time when Iommi was just struggling to keep the
band's head above water, but Tony Martin did a pretty good job IMHO of
filling in in a pinch.  Still, I think that all told, the album sounds
better with Ray Gillen. <grin>

> Sabbath yet ... (sounds familiar anyone)) I want to know how you evaluate
> the album, each song and in relation with Ray Gillen version (which is also
> quite good)

Here we go...I'm going from memory on this one, as I haven't heard the
Gillen version in some time.  I'll simply put the name of the vocalist
that I prefer, and why.  That doesn't necessarily mean that I throw out
the other guy's performance, but rather "This is the one I really like
out of the two." :)

[snip a track]

Ancient Warrior --  Is this song about Michael Moorcock's Eternal
Champion, or what?  Check out Moorcock's "The Eternal Champion,"
especially when Erekose is being called by humanity.  "Beating war drums
in his ears."  I'll take Tony Martin on this one...Gillen sounded a
little too much like "80s hair band heavy metal vocalist" for my liking.
Great track, regardless.  I noticed that the percussion arrangement is a
bit different on the Gillen version (just some overdubs, I think).

what do you say, here's some 'copyright violation' on the track:

Ancient Warrior (Iommi)

There's no end - There's no beginning -
To the old mans story
Does he still remember me -
>From lives gone by
Oh I see his spirit rising
Upon the back of time
I've got nowhere to hide
Will he keep a place for me

He is a king of all kings
The keeper of light
He holds eternity's wings

In his eyes an ocean's burning
Swollen seat of tears
Troubled mind the beating
War drums in his ears
No one ever hears his warning
Am I the one he calls
When they tell me they're afraid
Same say I'll be put away

He is a king of all kings
The keeper of the light
He owns eternity's wings
My blood will spill my blood

My blood will spill my blood

In the wisdom of the prophet's
Never ending tale
Open up the eyes
Within your mind, he says
Crowned in his ancient glory
There's a king within us all
Some will say it's all in vain
That he doesn't have a name

He is a king of all kings
The keeper of light
He holds eternity's wings

I'm no Eternal Champion expert, so I'd be glad if the Moorcock enthusiasts
here (Allan?) would sort this out for me...

\\joe