sabbath/moorcock? -Reply

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Thu Aug 22 20:35:39 EDT 1996

Brad M. Lauchnor writes:

 [...]
> prefer Dio but <shrug> just didn't enjoy 'Dehumanizer' as much as 'Mob
> Rules' and I still think 'Heaven and Hell' is Dio's best Sabbath work. Nearly
> rivaling Rainbow 'Rising'. Some of his solo work is also excellent. Ozzy's
> voice can be quite enjoyable to me. It can also grate on me. I didn't really
> care for Tony Martin. Based on previous mail some will think I'm nuts and
> some will agree completely....

Well, I don't often *completely* agree with anybody, because I'm a nit
picky bastard.  :-)

But this post pretty much agrees in total with my perception Dio's
career: _Heaven and Hell_ and Rainbow's _Rising_ are definitely the
high points.  I've been looking for the remastered _Heaven and Hell_,
but the damn things sells out as fast the local record stores can
stock it.  _Rising_... well, I just keep praying.  :-)

Also, a friend of mine keeps insisting that I should listen to _Long
Live Rock 'n Roll_.  The title appalls me, but this particular friend
has almost never been wrong on the subject of music....

As for Guido's assertion that Dio's grandiosity is a point against
him... what can I say?  I love Wagner's Ring cycle, too...  :-)

Steve
swann at panix.com