sabbath/moorcock? -Reply

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Aug 23 12:28:10 EDT 1996

Steve sez:

> Yeah, I can see what Duane means, though.  Black Sabbath adopted a
> style during the Dio years that was radically different than that
> they'd done with Ozzy.  In fact, it *does* seem more similar to
> Rainbow than it does to earlier Sabbath material.  And then, even when
> he went solo, his albums still sounded distinctly like his Rainbow and
> Black Sabbath albums (though not as good - I don't think he ever put
> together a backup band that was a match for Rainbow or Sabbath).

Ya gotta remember that when Dio joined Sab he started writing most of
the lyrics.  That explains, to a large extent, the shift in focus
within the band.  Prior to that, Geezer [not Ozzy] wrote most of
Sab's lyrics, at least on the first few albums.  Geezer's style is
more, for want of a better word, socio-political than RJD's, which,
at least in his early Sab days, tended more toward mythology and
[anti-] religious ranting...
theo