sabbath/moorcock? -Reply

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri Aug 23 18:28:23 EDT 1996

>Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 writes:
>>
>> Duane observes:
>> > \\joe states

>> > I always felt that when Dio sang with BS and Rainbow, it no longer sounded
>> > like either band, it just sounded like Dio.  This is not a complaint mind you,
>> > Rainbow Rising is one of my faves, it just seems he took over the sound of
>> > each band he contributed to.
>> >
>> > Duane
>>
>> That's saying something considering the egos of the guitarists in
>> those bands.  I'd be curious to see Ritchie's opinion on your
>> observation!

Well, egos aside, I did notice that the first album with Blackmore was
called Blackmore's Rainbow, the second one somehow dropped the name
Blackmore and was called Rainbow Rising. Maybe there was a clash of egos
involving the band's name.

>Yeah, I can see what Duane means, though.  Black Sabbath adopted a
>style during the Dio years that was radically different than that
>they'd done with Ozzy.  In fact, it *does* seem more similar to
>Rainbow than it does to earlier Sabbath material.  And then, even when
>he went solo, his albums still sounded distinctly like his Rainbow and
>Black Sabbath albums (though not as good - I don't think he ever put
>together a backup band that was a match for Rainbow or Sabbath).

Since Ozzy had a hand in the songs with Sabbath, then he left and Dio
had to add his signature style, I think that Dio didn't want to be
Ozzy's replacement so much as a new energy to the band, which would
mean a departure from the old.

Duane

No more will I add to this offtopic thread. Although when I first subscribed,
I remember getting some sort of introduction that specifically mentioned
Black Sabbath as one of the "other" sci-fi bands open to discussion along
with HW and BOC.