BOC: Bloom

Ted Jackson EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Dec 3 16:33:28 EST 1996

:
>>From Ross:

> yea,  he probably wasn't as creative as others, but his
> role, as far as i saw it, was as a front man.  which
> he was pretty good at.    he sang ok too, given the right
> songs.

I agree with Ross.  As a composer, he hasn't had the output of BD or
AB in shaping BOC's sound, but from the very first time I saw them
[which predates the birth of many on BOC-L] he was the quintessential
frontman.  His onstage personna stayed with me more than BD's amazing
guitar playing, even though, as a youthful guitarist, BD was already
my hero.  I always thought EB [at least in the early days--you can't
hold age against anyone] was the essence of on-stage cool.  And his
voice always had a subcurrent of humor yet also agressiveness that
added a key edge to BOC's overall sound...

> i don't think you can knock his overall contribution to
> the band's success.   he was good at what he did for BOC.
>
> rr

Agreed.  I think a lot of the source of dissatisfaction with EB has
come about 'cause he's seen by many [perhaps correctly] as the person
behind AL's ouster from the band and subsequent disgraceful treatment
over Imaginos.  I think there's plenty of blame to go around on that
one...
theo