BOC, tBS: (Imaginos) Overture, sevens...

Steven Tice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 9 15:54:57 EST 1996

Here are some interesting observations on Box of Hammers:

I wonder how closely Overture resembles the original Imaginos Overture, but
it certainly touches on most of the significant rhythms and melodies from the
project.  Here's my breakdown:

0:00  Imaginos
0:45  I Am The One You Warned Me Of
1:31  Del Rio's Song
1:49  In The Presence of Another World
2:22  ?
2:36  Magna of Illusion
2:56  Les Invisibles
3:15  Blue Oyster Cult
3:44  Frankenstein
4:03  Astronomy
4:46  The Girl That Love Made Blind
5:17  Imaginos

I haven't identified the rhythm at 2:22 yet.  Can anybody help?  The wind
sounds at the beginning and end of Overture echo the wind effect at the end
of the Secret Treaties version of Astronomy, of course.  Also note the
inclusion of the rare "Girl" track that was finished but omitted from
Imaginos.

Seven seven seven...it seems that Albert was taken with sevens on Box of
Hammers, as 'Lil Egypt is based on a fast 7/8 pattern followed by a slower
7/4 pattern (more easily followed as a measure of 3/4 followed by a measure
of 4/4).
The only other song with an odd meter is Laura's Plastic Swords, which also
features a brief 7/8 pattern three measures long, repeated three times in the
course of the song (right after Albert's verses and at the end).  What I'm
wondering is, why didn't Albert use any interesting time signatures like this
on Imaginos, especially given that patterns of sevens would have brilliantly
echoed the story?

At any rate, Box of Hammers is another great album.  I have to catch this
band live sometime!

SET

I got a date with my guitar
And a raisin with my keyboard