HW: You Shouldn't Do variations

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 18 08:09:26 EST 1996

HERBERT119 at delphi.com writes:

>    >L  4 a   Roadhawks
>    >L  4 a   Stasis
>    >L  4 a   (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords
>    >L  4 a   Silver Machine CD
>    >L  4 a   Space Ritual Alive [remastered CD only]
>    >L  4 b   Hawkwind Anthology triple CD box set [Castle Communications]

> Wait, wait, wait. I was SO sure that the version on Silver Machine was a
> different performance (though it is quite similar) than Roadhawks, et al.
> . Are we absolutely
> positive it's the same date??

I *know* everyone is waiting with bated breath for the outcome of
this....  8-)    Sadly the Xmas spirits (several) are getting in the
way but I had time for a quick run-through and comparison last night.

It would appear you are indeed half-right 8-). From what I can tell, the
Silver Machine track appears to be a composite made up from two separate
tapes.   The first 3 minutes or so (up to the end of the vocals) is
identical (intro, feedback howl etc) to the other versions but
immediately the vocals end then the Silver Machine one diverges into
some quite different version ending up with applause rather than the
burbles audible on Roadhawks etc. {well, that's what it sounds like!}

I wonder......

As I write this  -  Silver Machine the CD is a semi-legit isn't it?   Or
is it?   I can't remember exactly - but what if the version of You
Shouldn't Do That on the Silver Machine CD is the *full* original version
and the one on *Roadhawks* etc. is an edited version from two different
shows?    The Roadhawks version certainly sounds better and it would
make sense for Brock to put the best bits of different recordings
together.   And I think all the other versions have been lifted from
Roadhawks (to judge by the burbles) - or at least the master tapes.

Just a thought.

I'll explore further - but it could take a while.   Any other
suggestions?

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk