HW: The REAL Hawks

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Mon Dec 30 03:13:47 EST 1996

Bernhard said:
>- HAWKWIND have gone through several interesting changes
>- The  years between 1982 and 1984 were HAWKWINDs dark years
>- Hardcore fans know that this was the time when punker NT played with
>   HAWKWIND
>- During this time HW was absolute unproductive. No new ideas, no spirit
>  in their music (just listen to the tapes and you'll know what I am talking
>  about)
>- During 1970-1976 NT fitted much better to the band. But this time can't
>   be compared with the years 1982-1984
>
>HAWKWIND is a SPACEROCK band and not a PUNK band.
>We all want to hear good spacerock music and not punk music
>
>I hope that NT won't appear in the future with our favorite band on one
>stage at the same time.
>
>If this should ever happen it would be again the beginning of a
>unproductive and boring PUNK era!!

Hawkwind have certainly had their ups and downs, but the most amazing thing
about the band is that they constantly remake themselves and somehow manage
to rise from the verge of their imminent dissolution to renewed greatness
time and time again.  Consider the first moulting:  when Calvert took over
vocals and the Charisma/Virgin years were underway.  It would seem that the
Hawks wouldn't be able to continue, but they simply mutated into a
fascinating variant.  Then when Huwy rejoined with Levitation, they sounded
sort of prog.  I think that the biggest indication of a lack of
ideas/inspiration in the band showed up on Sonic Attack with the title
track.  This began the much-dreaded trend of re-recording old tracks, a
trend which has continued to plague us to the present day.  Chronicle of the
Black Sword showed us a Hawkwind which is much more heavy metal than I can
normally tolerate.  Basically, I have a strong aversion to heavy metal, and
am only willing to forgive the hawks because they are the hawks, and, well,
they can get away with damn near anything and turn it at least half-way
respectable.  I don't think 82-84 were necessarily awful years for the band,
although I do agree that Uncle Nik detracted strongly from the band.  His
vocals are generally awful and his stage act makes better entertainment in a
circus tent.  Good riddance, though I do still have a soft spot in my heart
for him.  I was again amazed when HW adopted a more ambient/synthy
instrumental sound (probably first emerging on Electric Tepee).  People have
expressed disgust for It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous, but
I must admit that I was enthralled by the album.  I don't want my Hawkwind
to be a static, unchanging entity forever locked into playing Chuck
Berry/classic rock rip offs a la Silver Machine (not that I dislike the
song; I like it quite well).  I like the fact that they are first and
foremost an experimental, avant garde psychedelic band with a rock and roll
basis.  I love their try-everything approach to music.

regarding punk rock... I like good punk rock, and the Hawks certainly have
some punk in them (just listen to California Brainstorm if you don't believe
me).  Nik's current HW band just sounds like a mediocre HW cover band live.
My band has done more interesting and energetic versions of HW than Nik, and
we contain no members of HW!

sad but true, but I think HW has become increasingly unproductive over the
years.  More remakes of old tracks, more "songs" which are really just two
chord A/B progressions that barely qualify as being new, "new" songs which
incorporate old lyrics etc. etc.  You know what I'm talking about I'm sure.
Hawkwind have cannibalized their back catalog to a very great extent in
recent years.  Well,
I've probably strained everyone's attention so I'll just leave you all alone
now.
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org