HW:Re: The REAL Hawks

RJ sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Mon Dec 30 07:39:08 EST 1996

stephen sez:
> > simon is fine on the studio stuff.by irrelevant,i mean that when they can
> > FIND him to get him on the stage,you can hardly hear him.
>
> That irks me, too.  When I saw Nikwind (more than a year ago, I guess),
> Simon and Spiral Realms opened up.  They sounded *great*, and I could
> hear the violin very clearly.  Unfortunately, when he joined Nikwind on
> stage for a couple of songs, he was completely drowned out.

i missed the spiral realms show,was outside or in a corner somewhere
being naughty.

> >     as for the members of pressurehead,i cant stand them as a band,but
> > loved them with nik.
>
> Funny, I rather like my Pressurehed albums, but when they back Nik up,
> the whole thing just doesn't sound Hawkish enough for me.  There's
> something fundamantally different in the guitar sound of Dave vs.  the
> guy from Pressurehed, and Nik/Pressurewind just doesn't sound quite
> right to me.

the main reason i dont like pressurehead,is that i cant stand the drum
machines.
the music is ok, but it sounds a bit mechanical to me.

> I never heard Nikwind with Helios on guitar, so I can't comment
> on that tour.

helios is a unique guitarist. mega-effects. don't ever compliment him on
his playing,
he'll blame it on his "black box". ;)

> Same here.  I haven't been totally satisfied with what Hawkwind has
> done for the last several years, but they're at least forging ahead,
> which means that there's always hope for the future.  And if they
> keep putting out albums like The Business Trip, then even the
> present isn't really so bad...

i feel the same way. as long as >some< new ground is being broken......

rj