BS Fans Energized?

Thu Feb 1 12:30:43 EST 1996

> Point is,  none of them, nor
I, ever spent much time reading that type of stuff.  We got our music
off the radio and thats where we found out 'bout stuff.

My perception is that that was true in the 70's, but not as applicable
in the 90's -- radio is no longer the only music media.  Although I do
think that alot of paper publications like Creem, Circus, Hit Parader
did have alot to do with music of that time - but these publications
tended to be a reflection of what was happening, not leading the way.

On the other hand, look at a band today like White Zombie (note: I
actually know very little about this band) - some of their success has
been attributed to MTV's "Beavis and Butthead" exposing them to a wider
audience.  Note - this is just and example - I'm not suggesting that
we need to get the Brain Surgeons on Beavis and Butthead!

>I think some people on the list here are more like amatuer musicians and
might spend more time reading RS than the main stream BOC fan.
I'd offer that many more BOC fans, and therefore potential tBS fans,
would'nt bother reading those pubs.

Well, that may very well be true -- however, I think that a band like
the Brain Surgeons would have an appeal not only to amateur musicians
and BOC-L readers, but to the more mainstream rock listeners, and my
efforts to see the band further promoted is so that these people as
well can be exposed to the band.  The Brain Surgeons' stuff is, IMHO,
just plain *good music*, and I think it can be appreciated by alot of
different listeners -- it isn't my goal (and I doubt its the Brain
Surgeons' goal) to see that this music is heard by a select few.  I
don't know how successful any of these efforts will be, but it's
something I enjoy doing, and I have received favorable comments from
the band, whom I've gotten to know a little bit.  And, certainly where
the band is pretty much doing everything (recording, booking, promotion,
etc.), I'm trying to be of service in a way that I can -- I can't spend
time calling up radio stations to play *Trepanation*, but I can send
out LOTS of e-mail to various places suggesting they check the band out -
not to mention providing them with additional info like album/concert
reviews from myself and others, as well as the band's address.

Ross - hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing your comments.  I
am just using this opportunity to more fully explain what I'm doing
and why I'm doing it.

John (a random "Shakespeare in cyberspace")