Noise/Hype

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 2 08:52:44 EST 1996

> > Ah but look on the positive side of this. Firstly Jim Davidson
> > (or more likely his gag writer) has heard OF Hawkwind, who let's
> > face it are pretty obscure for a band that's been around for 25+
> > years.
>
> I used to believe that too, that they were obscure.. but unfortunately
> this sort of constant reference to HW indicates that it's not obscurity
> but that they are merely viewed by the public with distaste.

        Luckily, in the States being a Hawkwind fan is an obscure but
sure mark of super-hippness.  Strange people in the music world will
occasionally mention Hawkwind influences, and journalists reviewing
new records will occasionally make cryptic references to the band.

> > And maybe, just maybe, some kid browsing in a record store
> > will see the name and make a spontaneous purchase just because
> > they've heard of the band.
>
> ...and if they heard of the band from some middle aged spread lump of lard
> features they are _bound_ to dash out and get it.. :(

        Well, _I_ heard the name and the description and went wandering
straight out to buy a copy of _HotMG_ :)

Cheers,
Carl