HW: '81 gig dates

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 6 08:06:22 EST 1996

Martyn Lawrence writes:

> Hi Mike
> >
> > Definitely Sunday (it's the last night of the festival and as I said, I
> > have other more personal reasons for remembering that evening). New
> > Order played after Hawkwind and after the 20 minute riot.
> >

>  gotta disagree ,it was definitely saturday night,cos Gong played sunday arvo
> and I think gordon giltrap followed them,the headliner in the evening was
> taj mahal ,and on the friday Ginger Baker and Roy Harper had their little tiff.
> I remember that blake was supposed to be playing,he was listed in sounds for
> the event,but he didn't make it for some reason.I knew someone who went in 79
> or 80 when he played a solo set ,it was awesome apparently.

Actually, I seem to remember that a lot of the fuss my SO made about
which train station we cycled to centred around an interview for a job
in France she had to attend. Possibly we had to travel on the Sunday in
order to get her back for the Monday. That would explain the fuss about
train stations since trains are rare on Sundays and also why I remember
Hawkwind playing on the "last" night.

As I said, I have the official tape so I can easily confirm.

> So what this about the riot

See other post.

> I was standing near the mixing desk,for about half
> of the hawks set,then retired to the tent,since my ex-missus was quite ill,
> something she must of ate I suppose.

I think there was a lot of it about. We accidentally drank a flagon of
scrumpy between us, amongst other things and I kept collapsing to the
deck during the Hawkwind set. A nice chap behind us kept assisting me
back to my feet. It turned out that he was an NME reporter and he wrote
a nice article about the demented Hawkwind fan "standing" in front of him.

What's the statute of limitations on riot and affray again? ;-)

> regards
>
> Marty

FoFP