Just to get a few things off my chest

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Feb 14 08:04:33 EST 1996

> Meanwhile, on the good/bad debate, may I (approvingly) quote John Peel:
> "Saying Schubert is better than Blur is like saying Tuesday is better than a
> piece of string".
> OTOH, I'm reluctant to follow Carl all the way down the slippery slope of
> cultural relativism (because it's then but a short step to moral relativism,
> and then where are we?).

        Exactly where we are ;)  However, moral relativity is more broadly
based than musical taste.  That is, overall, more people agree that it's
bad to murder your family and eat them than agree that Michael Jackson
recordings should be buried in an unmarked grave at a crossroads with
stakes tapped through their centers (as is easily demonstrated by incidence
of familial cannibalism vs. sales figures for _Thriller_).

        Personally, I'm in a quandry over which is worse ;)

Carl