Sonic A

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Wed Feb 14 17:30:02 EST 1996

Ted O. Jackson writes:

> I belive Eric is fairly proficient in Japanese, at least to the
> extent that he sings many BOC songs in that language when the band
> tours Japan.

So, then does he shout "Everybody look out!  Godzilla is coming!" in
English?

This, and the mention of the unreleased video (in another thread),
reminded me of something...

I have a great video that I bought at Arisia last year; it's called
the Rock-n-Roll Monster Video Mash or something like that.  Basically
a fan with a lot of time on his hands - and access to far too many
cheesy old monster movies - created home-made videos for about
a baker's dozen rock-n-roll tunes.  The ones I can remember offhand
are

Godzilla - using various cheesy japanese Gz movies
Steppenwolf - using footage from classic and modern werewolf movies
Spirit of the Age - using footage from Metropolis and (I think) an
        old Buck Rogers movie
The Frankenstein Stomp - using the classic film
I Want to Bite Your Hand - a parody of I Want to Hold Your Hand,
        using the classic Bela Lugosi film.  The guy who made the vid
        told me the song was taken from an old LP called "Dracula's
        Greatest Hits".  It's hysterical.  "And when I... bite you /
        I feel happy... inside!"
Creature From the Black Lagoon - featuring footage from "Revenge of
        the Creature", I believe.
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - heck, the song is so
        cheesy by itself, it almost doesn't need the various UFO movie
        footage to back it up.
The Monster Mash - featuring footage from some claymation film of
        all the classic movie monsters having a party.
They Won't Stay Dead - with footage from Romero's zombie films
Prince of Darkness - footage from one of the old Hammer vampire films.
Come to the Sabbath - footage from an old black and white movie of a
        witch's gathering.

The collection is definitely... uh, "eclectic".  :-) It contains
everything from classic rock tunes to weird little novelty songs, to
what could best be described as "garage punk".  And the video quality
is appropriately trashy on many of the tracks, with much overuse of a
Chroma key.  :-) I might be able to dig up the address of the place,
if anybody is interested in it.

Steve