Copyright News

Joseph Brooks jbrooks at CONNECTNET.COM
Fri Feb 16 09:37:37 EST 1996

At 08:20 AM 2/16/96 EST, you wrote:

>Don't know the setup in  the UK, but here, bars pay licensing fees to
>BMI and ASCAP, the two bodies who govern music publication in the US.
> I have no idea how they keep track of it, but it basically lets
>local cover bands off the hook.  So when I play live music that I
>figured out, I'm not breaking any law.  Publishing such arrangements
>is  another matter.

I wonder how it works when a band such as BOC plays someone elses music
live? Obviously, if they cover a song on an album, they would pay.. But what
about live? What about when a band covers a song spontaniously (sp?) as I've
seen happen with some big name bands?

How much of the royalties go to the orignal performer when a band covers a
song and actually makes it their own.. such as Hendrix did with Dillan's
"All Along the Watchtower"?

You know, I can certainly understand a musician wanting to get paid when
someone profits by playing their music.. But its too bad that redtape,
lawyers and record company executives have to get in and muck up the works
when the fans want to do things like post lyrics on web sites, not for any
profit but for the enjoyment of the fans. Things like that only enhance the
music.. hopefully causing more interest in the performer which in turn
generates more revenue.. If someone were selling song books for instance,
then that is a different story.

Heck, if I were a 'big rock star'(tm) I'd release all my lyrics for my
legions of fans to enjoy my music all the more.. I suppose some lawyer would
then come and tell me... "You can't do that!"

Uh oh.. I'm babbling again...
     _
  | | \   *jbrooks at connectnet.com                   | "So Ladies, Fish
  | | <   *http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/1154|  and Gentlemen,here's
|_| |_/   *WALSTIB / Keep our Internet free!        |  my angled dream..."