Copyright News

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Fri Feb 16 14:31:23 EST 1996

ROBO,

I have no business telling you what to do, of course, but as the
creator of the original BOC lyrics archives, I'm asking you, as a
fellow fan and as a BOC-L member, to take the link to the BOC-L
archives off of your web page.  And the same goes for anybody else who
is currently advertising the availability of these things outside of
BOC-L.  Please stop, before somebody actually decides to actually *do*
something about it.  You know that when these things go to court, the
people who arrive with search warrants tend to not know anything about
computers or data storage, and so they just grab everything in the
area that looks electronic.  Think about if Sony music decides that
we're infringing their copyright, and have the BOC-L archive and
mail server seized?

Yes, I'm probably being alarmist, but stranger things have happened.
The fact is that this isn't the first time Bolle has mentioned his
contract to produce 500 copies of the BOC-L lyrics book, and it's
making me nervous.  What if he decides that we're cutting into his
profit margin by effectively giving them away for free?

I propose, again, that we stop advertising the existence of these
things outside of BOC-L.

Steve