OFF: Sam Gopal _Escalator_ on CD

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Mon Feb 19 15:22:08 EST 1996

>> _Escalator_ was recorded 1968, and it was heavy the same way Zeppelin s/t
was.
>> Strange kind of heaviness though, because there was no drum kit used at all
>> - just the tabla drumming by Sam Gopal himself.
>> Remains me in some way of Gun's first, that one with "Race with the Devil".
>> Cool heavy blues'n roll, yes!
>> psycedelic, no.
>
>        I dunno.  It wobbles in and out of weird reverby wobbly 1968
>kind of psychedelia.  It's not _really_ even that heavy.  Lemmy's own
>songs are pretty light even, though "Escalator" itself will sound
>immediately familar as a classic Lemmy-type rave up.

It's heavy for being recorded back in 1968.
And I guess we could say it touch the Psychedelia Border, but it has a long
way to go to be in the Psychedelia Mainland. Or..?

>        There _is_ even a drum kit used on a few songs, presumably
>played by Mr. Gopal himself, who does all the tabla drumming too.
>It is definitely an unusual document, but pretty worthwhile.

Just remember the tablas - but you're might be right about a few drum
sequences too.

>        Is the comp with the Opal Butterfly track still available?  Are
>there other Opal Butterfly recordings?

You got the Groupie/Gigging Song 7" from 1970 - with Simon King, but without
Lemmy.
Listen to the single before you pay GBP75 for it (or whatever it costs)...
You might be dissapointed :0)

>Cheers,
>Carl

cheers - \\joe