OFF: Alien Stinger

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Wed Feb 21 05:44:54 EST 1996

Jill said:

>I heard the
> lyric through watching a car advert (for ?Rover cars?) where this guy is
> sitting in his British (English) car listening to a cricket match on the

Of course Rover cars are actually German now

> It's a sad life....

I don't know really... a New York apartment big enough to park a car,
a beautiful woman playing a grand piano and the cricket to watch...
seems pretty fine to me :-) (Hmmm sorry to the non-Brits who're finding
this totally meaningless!)

> However I probably *did* mishear the lyric and is should correctly be
> "I'm a legal alien - I'm an Englishman in New York"

I've also been mis-hearing this I think there's another line later
which is *I like my toast done on one side*. Is this supposed to be
the English way? No wonder we lost our bloody empire :-)

Chris