BOC: Mercedez/Yuppies

Wed Feb 21 15:38:07 EST 1996

Theo responds to Steve:

> Furthermore, I bet that these market-driven lumps of flesh probably
> view BOC as a nostalgia act, suitable for grabbing a slice of the
> yuppie baby-boomer i-used-to-be-a-rocker pie.  That yuppie car
> commercial "You used to dream of playing power chords with Blue Oyster
> Cult" probably summarizes the point of view of a lot more than just
> the auto industry towards the band.  They didn't back Imaginos because

Don't get my blood boiling.  That commercial is so offensive it could
induce me to murder.  As though BOC were as disposable as the 1910
fruitgum company!  Sad thing is there're probably more than a few of
those ugly yuppie types turning up at BOC concerts nowadays?  Whatta
ya think?

Easy does it Theo.  First of all, most people who have heard of BOC these
days don't even know the band is still (in some form) together.  So
from alot of people's standpoint, yes, BOC may be "disposable" - sad,
but true (not to us, of course).  Second, don't knock anyone who turns
up at a BOC concert these days -- they need all the fans they can get!
Third, some of us here could be considered by others as "yuppies" - I
don't consider myself one, but some people I know might label me as
one (although I gotta admit I can't afford a Mercedes, but I do own a
"foreign" car).  Finally, I hear Eric got a good deal on a new car for
using BOC's name in that commercial . . .

John

In the player right now:  The Brain Surgeons *Eponymous* - smashing me
with "bolts of ungodly vision"