HW: Spaced Comments

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Fri Jan 19 11:50:27 EST 1996

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> FoFP>I finally got it converted from CD-I to PAL-VHS tape. [snip] "Utopia"
> is thankfully
> FoFP>"Arrival In Utopia" though and that and "Coded Languages" appear
> FoFP>complete.
>
> A clue on one of the non CD releases.  I take it that "Utopia" is not one of
> the great songs and I didn't know it was different than "Arrival In Utopia".

"Utopia" is the spoken chant that goes "All your needs are monitored,
calculated, computer formulated...nobody has ever complained. Yet..."

Originally this always appeared as a prelude to "Arrival In Utopia" that
most excellent song. Then it acted as a prelude to "Social Alliance" the
live version of which knocks spots off the one Brock released as the 7".

In the end of course, Turner started wittering about "streets made of
hamburgers and rivers running with Watneys Red Barrel" and the menacing
atmosphere of the song was replaced by the kind of farce favoured by him
at that time. Truly cringeworthy.

>  Thanks.  Any comments vs. the previous video on sound quality, picture
> quality, overall desirability?   Compare and contrast.

The quality the guy has done for me isn't bad, though I presume it'd be
better playing the CD ona CD-I player. I like Moorcock doing Coded
Languages so it is good to have for that. I'd have liked a decent
version of Born To Go though.

> Rudy

FoFP