HW cd's

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 24 13:55:42 EST 1996

> I have a question for the Hawkfans who are far more knowledgeable then I
> am concerning collectibility of some cd's.
> I recently ran across some cd's that I understand to be some what obscure.
> Are these hard to find now? And are the prices reasonable to pay for these?
> 1. Masters of the Universe ( import )  $21.98

Avoid this until you've checked the tracklist.   You may find that this
is just a re-issue of a re-name of a re-issue.    If, however, you find
that it doesn't match *any* of the "Masters of the Universe" lists
that are in the discography could you please let us know!!!!

> 2. Hawklords Live $21.98

The not-quite-Hawkwind tour after the 1977 breakup and before the linkup
with Arc (Ark?) at Barnstaple.   Very interesting historically and if
you are a Calvert collector but, again, it's live music sound quality
rather than studio.    The price seems a bit high - I'm sure they've
been selling it for much less - but then there's a US version and a
UK (Dojo) version - no difference in tracks, just colour on the sleeves
so the price may be the UK import.

> 3. Undisclosed File Addendum  $13.98

Good, fast live sound.

> 4.  California Brainstorm  $13.98

Some good versions of recent tracks - again, live sound quality not
studio.

> Also I noticed on my cd of HotMG, the level seems somewhat low, and it sounds
> as if it were recorded from old unmastered tapes. There is an import version
> of this for $21.98. Is this any better quality than the domestic release?

I'm not sure.    The first UK cd release was a long time ago now and if
they *have* cleaned up the tapes then they've done it without obvious
advertising of the fact.    Short of playing them against each other I
don't know if it's possible to say.    Anyone?

cheers

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk