HW: very close to my home

Martyn Lawrence martynl at FUJITSU.COM.AU
Mon Jul 1 12:32:39 EDT 1996

> >That's *exactly* correct from what I've heard ... just one gig, I
> >didn't know about it :(
> >
> >Sonique (still sobbing quietly)
> >
> Check out the songs they do on the Hawkwind Covers All tapes. Pretty decent
> as HW cover bands go. Is/was there any listmembers that are/were part
> of the Austrailian Hawklords?

        Not as far as I know ,but I did go to the gig in question.
        Twas a dark and stormy night,I had just received a letter from
        someone in the uk mentioning that there was supposed to be a
        Hawkwind cover band in Melbourne.Lo and behold I checked the music
        papers the next day and saw the name HAWKLORDS.
                Well they played for about 1 hour,and some of it was good
        and some of it not so good.I guess after seeing the real thing
        forty odd times,and then comparing them to the local outfit is
        not fair.They were a 5 piece 2 guitars,1 bass,1 drums,1 keys.
        The had a backdrop which was painted fluro,with Hawklords written
        on it in the style of the CYM album.
        I do remember that lost chronicles was good,but to me they sounded
        to heavy metal,and didn't have enough swooshy noises,I did think about
        having a chat to them,but my companion was whinging to go home.
                I have looked for them again but have never seen them in
        the papers again.I believe that they only played 2 gigs,since they
        were in other bands and did the hawklords gigs for a bit of fun.
        One satisfying note that there were the obligatory freaks in the
        crowd,one guy even had the LAB coat,and I guess there were about
        25 people there.

        What was strange the very next day while driving down the road near my
        home I noticed a space bandits t-shirt.Didn't stop so never found out
        who the guy was or where he had bought it.

        regards

        Marty

        obTape:Hawkwind Preston 1979 - levitation -thanks bernhard