OFF: Sundial CDs (fwd)

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Jul 10 08:01:13 EDT 1996

>        -->Must Haves:
>        "Other Way Out" - first and still best (IMHO); out of print
>        "Return Journey" - very fuzzy guitar outtakes from OWO

I actually prefer _RJ_ to _OWO_, but both are very good.

>        "Acid Yantra" - good, but still outclassed by first two

        I like _Acid Yantra_ very well, it's rather more stripped down
sounding than _OWO_ and not quite as crazed as _RJ_.  Not as good as
_RJ_ though--grab _RJ_ with multiple appendages when you see it. :)

>        "Live Drug" - almost same tracklist as AY, but all live; very nice
>              quality live recording, almost quiet in between jams

        Also stripped down--Sundial as just the three piece.  They play
some of the good stuff off _AY_, but there are appearance from most
of the albums (not _Libertine_, I think though ...)

>        -->Not Necessarys:
>        "Libertine" - some good moments, overall only average
>        "Reflector" - ditto

        Both have a somewhat "pop" sound, but certainly have their
moments.  Actually, most of _Libertine_ is pretty good, you just have
to get around the slicker production--it opens with some fairly strong
tracks.  _Reflector has its moments but isn't as inspired.

>        There are also several EPs, a better one being "Overspill" (the
>        hunted EP of late), and also "Fazer" (not as good).

        Fazer has the best song from _Reflector_ and then some pretty
heinous kack, if I recall :)  The gods *will* be with me and I *will*
acquire Overspill ... %)

>        The other two
>        I am aware of are "Exploding in Your Mind" (2 songs from OWO) and
>        "Bad Drug/Fairground" (pretty avoidable if you get AY).

Do not kill yourself in a quest to pick these up--only if you feel very
cool and can get them cheap :)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                            *  "Ar det inte ett
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             *   fritt land?"
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    *
Dept. of ASNAC Studies, Cambridge U.            *   -- Pippi Langstrump