OFF: SETI, ETs

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Wed Jul 10 13:57:28 EDT 1996

SKARSOL writes:

> Andy Gilham wrote:
>
> > The more I hear about this flick, the more it seems like "President Rambo
> > versus the Flying Saucers".  Think I'll give it a miss!
> >
> > - Andy
>
> haven't seen it myself,but everyone i know who has said it was
> fantastic.the only bad reviews i've seen have been from artsy-fartsy
> types and pro-critics(who as far as i am conncerned can be at all times
> expected to give a report exactly opposite my own.}rj

If you've seen Stargate, then you've already seen the prototype for
ID4.  It has the same really bad science, weirdly contrived plot,
utter contempt for its audience's intelligence, and incredible,
overreaching visual spectacle.

The difference between the two is that I actually found ID4
quite watchable, despite its more obvious intellectual and moral
deficiencies.  It has much better pacing and more plot movement
than its predecessor.  Also, some scenes are downright eerie,
almost in spite of themselves.  :-)

Finally, they added more (intentional) comedy this time.  That helped
a lot.  ID4 is essentially a multimillion dollar "B" movie.  :-)

Steve
swann at panix.com