OFF: SETI, ETs

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jul 10 17:00:47 EDT 1996

Andy Gilham writes:

> Steve said
>
> >Well, this isn't exactly the same principle, but you can slow down
> >subjective time just by accelerating for long enough.

Yeah - which is why you want to be moving REAL FAST during a Hawkwind
gig so it lasts longer.

> I recall subjective time slowing down pretty badly during a Mike Oldfield
> concert - it seemed to go on *forever* :(

That would have been because you were thinking about the music instead
of just listening to it  8-) - it's a well recognised fact among
insomniacs - the more thinking you do while trying to get to sleep the
longer you seem to have been awake......

> Steve Hawking did come up with something recently that suggested that
> backward time travel may be possible in certain limited circumstances, but I
> think it was of the order of nanoseconds in the vicinity of a naked
> singularity, or some such.

there's an article in Scientific American this month - Hawking vs
Penrose on Black Holes but I haven't read it yet.

For entertainment SF there's a recent Gregory Benford galactic series
that takes in time dilation, black holes, galatic toruses (tori?) cosmic
strings and everywhatelse.    Terrific stuff.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk