OFF: SETI, ETs

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Wed Jul 10 17:42:42 EDT 1996

Andy sez--

> >Well, this isn't exactly the same principle, but you can slow down
> >subjective time just by accelerating for long enough.
>
> I recall subjective time slowing down pretty badly during a Mike Oldfield
> concert - it seemed to go on *forever* :(

I felt the same way at a Kitaro concert in Denver (January). It was a
LONG concert, and I can only take airy synth stuff in small doses. The
King Crimson concert (also January) could have gone ten hours, and it
would have been just fine by me. :-)

> ObHW: Time dilation (as well as suspended animation) explains the Starfarer's
> Despatch (Spirit of the Age), as well as Queen's "39".

Great song by a great band.

So does time dilation explain Hendrix's 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to
Be)? :-)

> The more I hear about this flick, the more it seems like "President Rambo
> versus the Flying Saucers".  Think I'll give it a miss!

I'd like to see it, though hopefully at the matinee . . . (is it worth
>$6.00?)

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse