OFF: do they or don't they?

Ted Jackson jr. TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 10 16:11:46 EDT 1996

> On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Stephen Swann wrote:
> > Finally, they added more (intentional) comedy this time.  That helped
> > a lot.  ID4 is essentially a multimillion dollar "B" movie.  :-)
> Yes, I think the title of the movie should have been "DJ Fly and the Fresh
> Prince Whoop Some Alien Ass".
>
> And you're not the only one who cringes at the lack of consistency
> between Hollywood physics and actual physics.  E.g., *no* nuclear bomb
> will destroy an object 1/4 the mass of the moon, I don't think. (I could
> be wrong.)

Well, supposedly Roland Emmerich (sp.?) doesn't even believe in UFOs.
 I don't know if any nuke could do the job you suggest, though at the
height of the cold war the US and CCCP both had warheads at least 20
megatons, and I think the CCCP had one experimental model at 50.
Maybe not enough to destroy a UFO 1/4 the moon's mass [is that how
big the mother ship in the flick is?--haven't seen it] but I bet it
would give the ET's a serious headache, and likely make them glow in
the dark for about 20,000 years.
theo