OFF: ID4 (was SETI, ETs, acronyms up the wazoo)

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jul 11 11:14:36 EDT 1996

Damon C Capehart writes:

> And you're not the only one who cringes at the lack of consistency
> between Hollywood physics and actual physics.  E.g., *no* nuclear bomb
> will destroy an object 1/4 the mass of the moon, I don't think. (I could
> be wrong.)

Nothing we've made yet would achieve much more than local heating and a
biggish crater. We couldn't even reliably stop a one mile wide asteroid
hitting the Earth with one widdle nuke.

!peeve: The US Airforce is now planning to test the effects of
explosions on small asteroids.

FoFP