US Touring problems

Hawkwind Star_rats at HAWKWIND.COM
Thu Jul 11 21:00:25 EDT 1996

Hi all,
        Many thanks to Jean Delacour for providing the Roswell Festival
information. I will set the wheels in motion and see what comes up.

As to touring in the US, we are hoping that we can get some help from the
fans in the US. The problem with touring in the US is that the promoters
only put up around $1500 up front. This doesn't even cover expenses for the
band's flights and also means that they don't have any great need to pump
lots of promotion into the gigs as they are sure they will recover their
tiny advance.

If we could find a promoter that would put up $3000 or so, that would make
the trip much more viable and would mean that the promoter would actually
have to do some work in to recover their advance.

We would really like to take this side of things out of the promoters hands
and set up some gigs ourselves. Hawkwind would then have more control over
promotion and ticket sales. This isn't an easy job but there must be someone
out there that could set this up. I've already had one offer from a guy (not
on the list) and we are following up his lead.

So guys, we need to pull together and come up with something here. I'm not
saying that HW won't ever play in the US unless this sort of arrangement can
be done, but it would be much more attractive to them if we could.

If anyone has any ideas/links/contacts, please contact me and we'll take it
from there. Please bear in mind that the band are trying to make a living in
this very difficult field and that they will not 'pay to play', nor should
we expect them to.

Yours with thanks,
                        Star_rats at hawkwind.com

PS: Latest additions to the WWW site include news about professionally
filmed 35mm color footage from a 1970 Roundhouse, London gig.
An interview with Peter Mew, the engineer that remastered the UA albums.
The poster for the Summer Daze Festival in Devon.
The closing page of the Dave Brock Cyberspace Interview.