OFF: more Quarkspace...

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Sun Jul 14 14:47:31 EDT 1996

Hi Folks...

I've heard back from the Quarkspace drummer on their peculiar sudden appearance
in Columbus, and have discovered they're not so new after all.  And for those
who weren't so moved to contact them for the free sample tape based on the
earlier post, perhaps this biography of the group might change your mind.
Until I've heard this tape, though, I suppose there remains the possibility
that they're completely awful.  We'll see...let's hope not...It'd be nice to
have a local artist actually performing the material I enjoy rather than
another awful grundge band.

And I may actually decide to go down to Louisville to see this show...since
Boud Deun is also playing, a band that played at ProgScape Day 2 (which I
missed), and apparently won over a lot of the crowd.

Also, Cluster and Brain are doing a show in Covington, KY the night before, so
I could make a two-show trip out of it.....

Keith H. (FAA)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quarkspace have been together off and on since 1984. They play a style of music
that has fallen on hard times in terms of popularity in the last decade or so;
a style that was called "space rock". The main proponents of this type of music
were Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and more
recently the genre has new champions in the recordings of bands such as Ozric
Tentacles, Darxtar, Ship Of Fools and Porcupine Tree. One might also use as a
point of reference the long dreamy jams of The Grateful Dead. You may hear some
of all of these artists in the music of Quarkspace but you will also hear
something that is distinctly their own. Whether that something special is
coming from the individual players or from the unique combinations of those
players is not totally clear. They do take you on a journey into another realm
where rock music & electronics co-exist and transform each other into something
that is wholly Quarkspace.

THE
ECLECTIC ELECTRIC
EVENT
  July 27th 1996
University of Louisville Playhouse

Sponsored by
 EAR X-TACY, ARTSWATCH, ZNR Records & RILEY LITHO

12 Noon    UT GRET
1:30 PM    THE MATHEMATICIANS
3:30 PM    QUARKSPACE
4:30 PM    intermission/ dinner break