HW: Re: U.S. Tour, VENUES (Dallas)

Damon C Capehart dcapehar at UTDALLAS.EDU
Sun Jul 14 15:46:19 EDT 1996

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, Keith A Henderson wrote:
> But that hasn't been such a big deal to me, as travelling a bit north
> to Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, etc. is nothing.  Nothing like
> being shut out entirely like the south (bar the anomalous gig in
> Atlanta last year) or Australia & Japan for that matter.

Exactly.  It's understandable that HW would find it nearly impossible to
tour a place like Australia or Japan, since they're soooo far away; the
frustration is when HW (and most other proggers) *does* arrive in North
America and ignores about 50% of the fans.  Actually, it's probably more
like 40% of the fans, but it *would* be closer to 50% or more if we had
some promotion and concerts down here [it works both ways, see. :) ].

Also, as I recall someone mentioning on the list during HW's '95 tour,
Dave & the Boyz didn't realize Atlanta was that far south.  They thought
it was about 3 or 4 hours from D.C., right?  And they were *so* surprised
when someone showed them a map displaying just how far it was.

> But maybe it *is* time to come up with a new route.
Amen.

> Obviously, these gigs would not be of the >1,000 variety, but as long
> as an efficient travel plan was constructed (presumably not an easy
> task), a 4-5 week tour could be possible.
Maybe a bit longer ... each of Nik's U.S. tours were about 7 weeks,
right?  (someone correct me) Actually, I just checked, and they were
about 5 weeks.

> Allan sez:
> > Perhaps if someone just put together various AAA-like Triptick (sp?)
triptych (I just looked it up), though I don't think it has the meaning
you meant it to:  "a set of three panels with pictures, designs, or
carvings..."

> > routes for them, or we actually collaborated on a convenient route
> > (that would get the band to each of our respective backyards, of
> > course), the band might be able to hit less standard stops more
> > easily???
> Yeah, great, is anyone here an expert in GIS??
What would you need GIS for? (What is GIS?) All you need is a decent U.S.
road map.  We could collaborate on a decent route easily.  I (or someone)
could come up with a partially suitable route, then the rest of us can
look at our road maps and see what major cities we missed.  Students in
each area could put up flyers in their respective campuses, we could
contact various radio stations and city publications (The Met and The
Dallas Observer are the two here... don't think the Morning News would be
interested) for P.R.... I think those free weekly mags like the Met and
Observer are the only ones who will actually pay attention, if that.  But
it's worth a try.

Damon Capehart        | "I think we should eliminate semicolons from the
aka Le Monsieur       |  English language; nobody uses them anymore
dcapehar at utdallas.edu |  anyway." - one of Dilbert's anonymous coworkers