Roswell Festival Update

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Jul 16 12:33:12 EDT 1996

Tars_arts writes....

> Hi all,
>         I spoke to the promoter in charge of the Roswell event this morning
> and the news could have been better. The event has been put into the hands
> of a New York agent that has not heard of Hawkwind and is trying to get
> 'real superstars' for the gig. I bit my lip and told him something about the
> band and he seemed interested in putting them on the 'B list' stage.
>
> The 'real superstars' he was refering to included Sheryl Crow; can't
> remember the others.

Hmmm....Michael Bolton perhaps?? Or maybe Gary Glitter??

(Who the hell *is* Sheryl Crow anyway??  I do remember that ripoff hit she had
a year ago or so, you know the one that sounded exactly like Stealer's Wheel.
And I remember seeing that semi-progressive artist/producer Kevin Gilbert (RIP)
had something to do with her.  But did she *come* from somewhere, or was she
just one of these no-talent 'faces' that some pathetic wanker (ie., agent)
decided he could make famous by shrewd marketing and image, a la Alanis
Morissette and Mariah Carey.)

Now what if Hawkwind recruited Sam Fox back into the band for another one-off
(or perhaps I should say, 'two-off') performance.  Maybe that'd get this
loser's attention.

Seriously though, maybe Lemmy could show up...he lives in the LA area now,
doesn't he??  I realize that LA isn't much closer to Roswell than I am (in
Ohio), but at least he's already on this side of the pond.  And some may think
him every bit as 'Alien-ish' as Ron Tree, probably more.  Hey, and what about
Roky Erickson??  Certainly, he'd be appropriate for this gig.  Of course, the
NYC agents would have never heard of him either.

> Anyway, we shall have to see what develops here after Doug has talked to
> them. It seems to me that the agent in question didn't really know that much
> about what the festival was really about and is just interested in getting
> some easy exposure to other acts on his client list.

Yeah, we're all behind you, DS!!  (We didn't *really* mean all that bad stuff
we said about you before).  :)

> Let's just hope he really does have an open mind and knows his job!!!

Assuming this is an improbability at the very least, maybe he'll be abducted by
aliens, and replaced with a replica.  I saw it happen on Outer Limits - it
*can* be done.

Keith H. (FAA)

PS.  Did anyone catch the bit on Roswell on last nights' Letterman??  Manny the
Hippie (from San Francisco) was there, and interviewing various people, the
Roswell mayor, some folks who *really* believe the alien crash story.  One guy
said the aliens had no rectums....so Nik Turner was wrong - you don't "Put it
in at the front....shit it out at the back" or whatever.