Roswell Festival Update

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Tue Jul 16 12:56:39 EDT 1996

Hawkwind writes:

> Hi all,
>         I spoke to the promoter in charge of the Roswell event this morning
> and the news could have been better. The event has been put into the hands
> of a New York agent that has not heard of Hawkwind and is trying to get
> 'real superstars' for the gig. I bit my lip and told him something about the
> band and he seemed interested in putting them on the 'B list' stage.
>
> The 'real superstars' he was refering to included Sheryl Crow; can't
> remember the others.
>
> Anyway, we shall have to see what develops here after Doug has talked to
> them. It seems to me that the agent in question didn't really know that much
> about what the festival was r eally about and is just interested in getting
> some easy exposure to other acts on his client list.
>
> Let's just hope he really does have an open mind and knows his job!!!

I think the 1st and 2nd paragraphs above pretty much rule out that
possibility.

Sheryl Crow?  Nice pop singer, but that's like having Abba do the
sunrise set at the Stonehenge festival.

And while being on the second stage may provide them with some exposure,
I suspect it would mostly provide them with exposure to a crowd that
would snigger up their sleeves at the long-hairs on stage B.

I know this might sound bloody looney, but what getting in contact
with the Horde tour?  Sharing the expenses with other (US-based) acts
would sure make the financial burden lighter, and Hawkwind is actually
a known entity among some of the alternative crowd.  When Mark Arm
of Mudhoney was asked by Guitar Player magazine to pick his top 10
albums, he picked Doremi as # 3 or 4.

Steve
swann at panix.com