Roswell Festival Update

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Jul 17 07:38:43 EDT 1996

>>If neither StarRats nor Shmiffdude make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR in their most
>>emphatic voices, i.e. "Don't you realize that the people who are
>>interested in a Roswell festival DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT SHERYL CROW???",

This isn't the case. Everybody and their mum knows about Roswell
including the dreary corner of the world that is Sheryl Crow and her
awful fans.
>>then I'll *definitely* have a bone to pick concerning HW management.

It's not a fucking festival, anyway! Come to Devon, there's a real
festival happening..
>Just thought I'd reply to this one. I am as suprised as anyone that the
>promoter is looking for people like Sheryl Crow, and the mere fact that they
>are indicates to me that they don't really know the background of the
>festival. As I said before, they realise that it is a good way of drawing
>media attention to anyone playing here.

Who _wouldn't_ want to play at a Roswell fest?
Roswell, the (marketable) phenomenom is as mainstream as anything could
get!
It's funny, but people seem to think UFO's, aliens and the X-Files etc.
are a bit culty and weird, a bit _out there_ man! But it's a totally
ordinary preoccupation. This is absolutely everyday common currency. Ask
anyone in the street what Roswell is, betcha at least say 35% of people
know what was supposed to have happened. In my shop, I deal with people
every day of the week who think they're *very interesting and unusual
people* with their interesting takes on _paranormal activity_. "Oh by
the way, I collect X-Files memorabelia, do you have any?" No why don't
you try Woolworth's??

I don't find it suprising in the least that a corparate event promotor
would be thinking in terms of oooooh
Alanis Morrisette or Melissa Etheridge or other "crazy rock people"
Hey, ask Sheryl her opinions on Roswell! I bet she's got some!

Aaah, who cares anyway! Devon or Carnac sound much further out, man!
PLUS you've got a much better chance of an alien encounter! If I was
gonna start getting bummed out because people don't realise how fucking
cool Hawkwind are, I'd be a basket case by now!

BTW are saucer sightings still *relatively* common in the Roswell area?

>At the moment, we are just glad that the promoter acutally gave me the time
>of day and was open minded enough to accept a promotion pack. Please bear in
>mind that he didn't know who Hawkwind was, and gave me a total of 30 seconds
>to explain my business with his company!!

That's nice of him. You never know then, eh? :)

Erm, can I have a promotional pack, please? :)))))
>There is only a certain amount we can do our end and as the old saying goes,
>you can lead a student to water but you can't make him wash:)

Or you can play the most exilarating rock ever recoreded and people will
still want that far out groovey chick, Beverly Craven or whoever is
"groovey rock chick" this week.

>Star-rats
>
>PS: The release date of Solstice has been put back until next Monday.

Stonehenge has been re-aligned accordingly.

--
Jon Browne
In a pissy mood, sorry!