Roswell Festival Update

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Wed Jul 17 05:49:00 EDT 1996

Steve says--

> > I hope the Roswell concert turns out well (though it doesn't look
> > promising). It's a pity that promoters can't get past the MTV thing, and
> > realize that there really are people who like original and challenging
> > music, and are a bit underwhelmed by "artists" like Sheryl Crow.
>
> Yeah, I think they know it well enough.  Most of them just don't care.
> Why make $10,000 when you can make $100,000?  It's a business, and
> unfortunately, we're merely what's known as a vocal minority.

Still, it seems to me that a lot of money could be made by paying a bit
more attention to artists who are not getting much promotion. The
attitude in the music industry seems to be that, if something's selling
like wildfire, you push it for all it's worth, and milk every dollar you
can out of it. Maybe it's just easier to push the "superstars", and
ignore everything else.

> But, oh hell, I can't get THAT cynical about it - I feel unbelievably
> fortunate in some ways.  I never in my *wildest* dreams imagined that
> practically every Hawkwind album worth noting would someday be
> available on CD, and that the first several would be brilliantly
> remastered.  Never.  It's like, that's the kind of thing that we used
> to make jokes about when BOC-L first started.  We all laughed about
> it.  Who thought it would happen?

Years ago (well before I joined BOC-L), I was convinced that Hawkwind
albums would not make it to the new CD format. I'm glad I was wrong! :-)

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse