Roswell Festival Update

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Wed Jul 17 05:32:28 EDT 1996

Keith A Henderson wrote:

> I think that *certainly* would be totally impossible, at least on the main
> stage.  (They *do* have a second stage thing, don't they?).  Here in Columbus,
> the four 'headlining' artists were Natalie Merchant, Lenny Kravitz, Rusted
> Root, and Blues Traveller.  All four of those artists are an order of magnitude
> (or more) well-known here in the states.  And they sell discs in the millions
> rather than thousands.

I think I'm now starting to understand the problems promoters have....
I've heard Lenny Kravitz and I've heard OF Blues Traveller, might
even have heard 'em but if so I can't remember! Now who da fuck are
Rusted Root and Natalie Merchant? I guess this HORDE thing people
are talking about plays to a student/hippy crowd right? Just the sort
of freaks that in the UK like HW?

So if these people sell in their millions they're pretty bland and
mainstream right? I can't see HW appealing to 'em. And I can't see
HW appealing to a Sheryl Crow type crowd at Roswell either. The only
answer is to stage a truly *alternative* Roswell festival with other
non-mainstream acts......

> outdoor theatres.  They're a ripoff, and they usually book the same old
> re-tread crap every summer....like Jimmy Buffet and all.

What is a Jimmy buffet? I know what a finger buffet is (vol au vents etc),
and *jimmy* is sometimes slang for a piss ... so I'm almost afraid to put
2 and 2 together here :-)

Chris